Wednesday 30 January 2013

Love's Next Door (Romance By You)


Sophie returns to her old home after a year away and decides to welcome herself home by playing a little prank on her best friend and childhood sweetheart, Gareth. She isn’t the least bit attracted to him now, of course she isn’t, though she absolutely can’t stand that tart he’s sleeping with, but she still enjoys embarrassing him half to death and generally making life difficult for him. As for Gareth, the feeling is absolutely mutual.





On the surface, this book is an excellent romantic comedy, light and funny and frothy and everything else you’d want a romantic comedy to be. But this book is a lot cleverer than it might seem at first. It seemed odd to me that Sophie was able to pile up a good twelve square feet of snow in the middle of the night without too much trouble, yet a small amount of snow shovelling gives her a major backache that requires osteopathy from Gareth. True, backs are funny things. Mine has decided that when I’m hairdressing, it’s going to hurt me a lot less if I stand on one leg. But now I think I know what the writer was doing. When Sophie is piling the snow up in the middle of the night, there’s no one there to see her. But when she’s shovelling the snow, Gareth is watching. A very important distinction there, I think.

I love this story. It’s sweet and romantic with lots of really funny moments. Sophie and Gareth are so obviously perfect for each other, and even when they’re arguing, there’s something really sweet about them. It was slightly disappointing that they spent almost the whole of the last chapter having sex - I wanted to read about these great characters doing something interesting. You can’t have a decent conversation during sex. But maybe most people like reading about the more intimate moments, and it’s important to appeal to the majority.  

They did jump into bed very early in their relationship, but I actually didn’t mind that. The (uncredited) writer makes it obvious that they know each other very well – better, in fact, than their know themselves, as far as their relationship needs are concerned. Even though Sophie and Gareth spend a lot of time playing jokes and insulting each other, there’s obviously a great camaraderie between them. And that’s what makes them perfect.

Gareth’s other girlfriend Imogen is a great character. In some ways, she’s a bit of a stereotype, and you do wonder what Gareth sees in her, but I think that’s part of the point. Stereotype or not, girls like Imogen do exist (I’m actually more like Imogen than Sophie, though hopefully I’m less bitchy and not quite so much of a slut). Gareth is completely blind to the fact that Sophie is perfect for him, which means he has no idea what his ‘type’ is. So he goes for the stereotype, the kind of girl every guy ‘should’ want. Who wouldn’t want a girl as beautiful and glamorous and adoring as Imogen? Well, Gareth, for a start.

Then there’s Emma. Very sweet, quite quiet, but there’s a lot more to her than you might think at first. A lot like the Emma I named her after. She’s a really well-written character because she doesn’t dominate the story in an obvious way, but when you reach the end, you see how important she is.

To be honest, I did have a bit of trouble believing Sophie was me.  There are a lot of very specific ways in which we’re very different. I have no trouble imagining myself being able to drive cars and ice-skate. I can’t do either of them in real life, but I feel it would be possible for me to learn if I had a very very patient teacher with strong nerves. But I had a bit of trouble believing that my birthday was suddenly in winter. Also, if I’d got Sophie’s birthday presents, I would be devastated, and there’s absolutely no way I would go out on my birthday wearing denim and cords. I don’t even own any denim and cords, I’d be there in six inch heels, a mini dress and no coat, complaining about the cold. And it doesn’t take me an hour to get ready. Two hours absolute minimum, but I really need three.

But however hard the writer tries, a personalised book can’t get everything right for everyone, and although it’s always wonderful to see yourself in the book, the parts of your character that aren’t like you do tend to stand out. All the writer can do about it is make sure that people will enjoy the book even if they can’t suspend their disbelief the required amount. And I really did enjoy it.

The fact I don’t really see Sophie as me doesn’t alter the book’s quality. Anyone who enjoys reading (which probably includes everyone who owns a personalised book) can appreciate a good story. It’s great reading about a really likeable couple who completely fail to realise how perfect they are for each other. There are so many romance novels where the characters get married and you just know it won’t last a week. Sophie and Gareth could believably last forever, and that’s the most important thing of all.