Wednesday 30 January 2013

Sense & Sensibility (Classic Book By You)


Things are bad enough for Mrs Dashwood and her daughters when Mr Dashwood suddenly drops dead, but their situation doesn’t exactly improve when their daughter in law talks their brother out of giving them enough money to live on. Marianne likes a bit of drama and tragedy to spice up her life, but her elder sister Elinor can see they’re in deep dog poo. Then some random cousin offers them a home out of nowhere, separating Elinor from the guy she fancies and throwing Marianne into the path of a guy she should probably stay well away from.





I don’t usually enjoy Sense & Sensibility quite as much as Jane Austen’s other books, but I have to say I fell completely in love with the book on this reading. Maybe it helps that I don’t know it as well as Pride & Prejudice - I wasn’t nearly as aware of the alterations.

Jane Austen writes the Dashwood sisters with great affection, and although I’m definitely more Marianne than Elinor, it’s easy understand the problems Marianne causes, and impossible not to appreciate and admire Elinor, even though I don’t think I’ll be turning into her anytime soon (the people around me might like that, but I wouldn’t). Not many of Jane Austen’s characters are completely unlikeable, but the bumheads are as rewarding to read about as the characters I love. (Note to any non-British people reading – a ‘bumhead’ is someone who behaves stupidly or objectionably, i.e. someone who is thinking with their bottoms rather than their heads.)

It’s strange, but calling a character after someone I love does seem to make me love them more. Colonel Brandon was so much sexier when I imagined him as Gareth, and although I was surprised a relatively unimportant character like Mrs Jennings was personalised, I really loved her with her new name.

The personalisation issue did cause a few problems as I made the mistake of calling my Elinor character Charlotte. There is a non-personalised character in the book called Charlotte Palmer, but I think of her as Mrs Palmer, and I’d momentarily forgotten that Jane Austen quite often calls her Charlotte. Even though I know the book quite well, there were a couple of moments when I wasn’t completely sure which Charlotte was which.

Someone called Lucy is going to have even more trouble - Lucy Steele is such a big character, and she’s almost always referred to by her Christian name. I’m quite surprised such an important character wasn’t personalised (she’s a baddy, but Pride & Prejudice's Wickham and Lydia, who are personalised). Another name to avoid is John. There are already at least four of them, so you don’t want a personalised John as well.

There is a bit of confusion where the editors have decided Colonel Brandon should sometimes be called by his first name instead of his surname - which would make it seem more modern, though Willoughby is always called by his surname, even by Marianne. There is also an instance of Marianne calling the Colonel ‘Mr Gareth’, which seems overfamiliar, even for her (she calls him Mr Brandon in the original book), and also a place where he’s referred to as ‘Colonel Gareth’. I know the book well enough to find it odd, but it doesn’t spoil the book. It’s always clear who is who (except for my two Charlottes). It’s a shame because the book is so perfect in every other way, but it’s probably impossible to make everything completely perfect, and it must have been a lot of work for BookByYou to edit the books as well as they have.

I love how they have changed the texts so the ‘Miss Dashwoods’ are the ‘Misses Dashwood’. This avoids any strange plurals – the Bennet family in Pride & Prejudice are called the Rhys-Edwardss, but this slight alteration in Sense & Sensibility means you can enter any surname you like and it still works.

The only really bad mistake is that inside the book, the title appears as Sense & Sensibilities. It’s correct on the cover, but I think the title of the book should be right all the way through.