Saturday 13 April 2013

Seduction Games (Romance By You)


This is the same-sex (f/f) version of Tropical Treasure. There is also a m/m version.

When Emma wins a place on reality TV show Treasure Quest, she isn’t expecting to fall in love. Her ex-girlfriend hurt her badly, and what’s the chance of their being two lesbians out of just six contestants? The first person Emma meets is the incredibly hot Sophie, wearing nothing but a towel. She actually seems okay at times, if you can overlook the arrogance. But Sophie wants to win, and Emma doesn’t know how far she’s prepared to go…


I’ve never read any lesbian fiction before, though I’m sure I wouldn’t have any objection to lesbian fiction in general. But the idea of reading about myself having sex with my friend Emma was…well…weird. I’m not saying I’ve never kissed Emma, but I can say I’ve never kissed her when we’ve been sober. As I find most alcoholic drinks too disgusting for words, there haven’t been all that many occasions when I haven’t been sober. Or…not that I remember.

But leaving aside the very strange circumstances in which I found myself reading this book, I really enjoyed it. As the original was about a man and a woman, a number of changes had to be made, but everything worked really well. When the straight Erikka talks about having a relationship with Sophie, her reasoning is so compatible with reality TV, I had no trouble accepting it. When Caroline (named after another friend) decides she would rather share a bunk bed with Emma than Sophie, it obviously couldn’t be (as was the case in Tropical Treasure) because Emma was a girl and Sophie wasn’t. Believe me, Emma has looked at Sophie very closely, and has taken note of all her feminine characteristics. But the discussion flowed naturally, and they convincingly came to the conclusion that Caroline’s room-mate should be Emma.

I gave my name to the main character in Tropical Treasure, but in Seduction Games, I decided to be the main character’s lover. It would have been very easy to  make Sophie a stereotypically butch lesbian, but the adaption (the book is ‘by Kira Lerner, with Stephanie Ard’) is much cleverer than that. Sophie definitely has a few manly moments, and is very protective of Emma, but the writer has taken care to include more feminine descriptions – for example, that Sophie wears skirts and has silky skin. She also has breasts, as Emma doesn’t take long to notice.

Some of the text has only had very slight changes, but even changing one word can give the sentence a completely different meaning. Gareth (the hero of my copy of Tropical Treasure) has ‘strong but tender’ hands. Sophie’s are ‘capable and tender’. This seems to be saying that Gareth is a strong man, but one who can’t hide his tender side. Sophie isn’t afraid to show she’s tender and capable. But the descriptions are even cleverer than that. To me, ‘capable’ implies a nurturing side to Sophie’s personality – more typically a female trait – but to another girl, ‘capable’ could mean the same as ‘strong’ – a woman who protects her girl.

This seems perfectly realistic to me – most people have sides to their personality that could be classed as ‘masculine’ or ‘feminine’. For example, I wear dresses and read romantic novels, but I’m also a passionate football (soccer) fan who knows the offside rule. But it also means that the butch lesbians, girly lesbians, and personalised-book-obsessed straight girls are all likely to be able to identify with at least one aspect of Sophie’s personality.

The protagonist in Seduction Games (Emma) is almost the same character as the protagonist in Tropical Treasure, only a bit more perverted. Sweet and idealistic, but with a lot more determination and courage than anyone realises. If you’re a butch lesbian, you’d probably be better of casting yourself as the second heroine (Sophie), as Emma isn’t a bit butch, but she really is a lovely character. Even when there are doubts about Sophie’s integrity, you want it to work out for them just so Emma can be happy.

Caroline (personalised) and the non-personalised Erikka, Wallace and Oscar are also brilliant characters – convincingly intelligent, interesting and full of surprises. They’re all very different, yet you can understand what they’re doing in reality TV. Presenters Clive and Summer are also great characters. (But if you try the personalised preview on www.bookbyyou.com, be aware it’s not quite set up correctly - the parts about screenshots and shark bait are supposed to be about Erikka, not the 'heroine's best friend', though it is the heroine's best friend who 'pretended to be indignant'.)

As always, it would be problematic to call any of your personalised characters by the names of non-personalised characters. If your name is Erikka and your girlfriend is called Summer you’re going to get very confused. And perhaps even a little bit insulted.

The book is more sexually descriptive than the m/f version. But the sex scenes are obviously lovemaking rather than a quick shag, and it was actually rather beautiful the way that Sophie and Emma took it in turns to give each other pleasure, both happy to take on each role in the lovemaking process.

It was also very well-described and I now know exactly what to do next time Emma and I get drunk…