Friday 16 August 2013

Robin Hood (Classic Book By You)


Following the death of his parents, Robin has two choices. He can either become his uncle’s heir, thus denying his cousin his birthright (probably not the best idea considering what his cousin is like) or he can allow himself to be disinherited too and live in the woods as an outlaw. Robin decides to be an outlaw, and soon puts his means-tested version of tax into operation, making many friends along the way, including a number of people who have just tried to kill him. Robin could probably live like this forever if he has to, but maybe there is a way he could become part of society again. And if it’s a way that involves the pretty Maid Marian, all the better.

If this book wasn’t personalised, I might not have finished it. Barely a chapter goes by without a fight, and I don’t really like reading about fights. They’re either disgusting or boring, if not both. I’d have thought: ‘I don’t want to read this book, it’s all about fighting’, and put it back on the shelf without reading another word.

But the fact I’d personalised the characters gave me a reason to keep reading. As there were roles for five men, I named them after One Direction. So I had Harry Hood, Little Liam, Friar Louis, Zayn Scarlet and Niall Horan. So instead I was thinking: ‘There are a lot of fights in this book, but I want to keep reading because it’s all about One Direction’. And the more I read, the more I appreciated the book.

Admittedly, while I can imagine that personalisation can only help encourage people to keep reading (never a bad thing, particularly not in the electronic age), it’s no substitute for the original if you’re studying Robin Hood at school. Even if you wrote the most perfect essay about the homoerotic overtones in the relationship between Harry Styles and Niall Horan, there’s a good chance those stuffy old teachers won’t have a clue who you’re talking about.

It was great fun imagining the 1D boys taking part in the story, especially as the outlaws are often referred to as a band. I was Maid Marian, and I really had no objection whatsoever to marrying Harry Styles. I’m not sure we’d get on in real life, though I’m certainly not averse to staying up all night and jumping around until we see the sun (that sentence sounds dodgier every time I read it), but personalised books are all about dreaming, and the idea of living in a wood with One Direction really isn’t what I would call a nightmare (though I do hope they have some battery-powered hairdryers. I imagine Harry probably would).

It was slightly disappointing that the personalised characters were in it so little. Little John (Liam) doesn’t appear until halfway through the book, Friar Tuck (Louis) comes in only towards the end of the story, and while Will ‘Zayn’ Scarlet is referred to frequently, he is absent most of the time. There are characters who are in the book a lot more, and I couldn’t help wondering why those characters hadn’t been personalised instead. However, by the end of the book, all the personalised characters had had an important role to play, and the personalisation choices made perfect sense. (The blurb says that Allan-a-dale is personalised, but he isn’t.)

There are a lot of characters in this book, but most of them don’t have proper names, which probably makes it easy. Allan-a-dale is often called Allan, so I wouldn’t put an Allan in your personalised version. There are two Richards, which is probably confusing enough without adding an extra one. Will o’ the Green is occasionally just called Will, but I only got him confused with Will Scarlet because I’m stupid and I thought they were the same person. Other names to avoid are Roger and Micah. Other than Maid Marian, the only important female character is called Fennel, so if you have a friend called Fennel (which I doubt many people have), I wouldn’t call Maid Marian after her.

Robin Hood isn’t really my kind of book, but it’s a book I’m very glad to have read. It’s surprising how much difference a spot of personalisation can make to my enjoyment. Maybe I’ll even enjoy Charles Dickens when it’s personalised. At least I can give the main characters some sensible names.